As a few of you might know I'm not only a big fan of gaming on original systems but also like to dabble in the dark art of emulation. Yes, I know many purists will soon be hitting the back button at disgust — however I am of the opinion that emulation has a place in each retro gamer's lifetime. Emulation enables you to encounter games in close pixel-perfection which you can never be able to afford or find and out of a historical standpoint it's a great way to archive and catalog names which would otherwise disappear.
My selection of emulation instrument is a self-modded original (some call it'classic' today ) Microsoft XBox. I have been asked on many occasions on how to mod an XBox and what kind of modded XBox is, so in this series of posts I will reveal to you the abilities of my two units and explain to you how you can start getting your own.Read more romshub.com At website Articles
I chose to use this particular hardware after stumbling across websites run by fans and finding just how big the XBox mod scene still is and also what a competent machine they're for emulation purposes. Virtually every emulator ever created has been ported to XBox and in the majority of cases has been improved still further by enthusiasts with the inclusion of video collections and art. A lot of you may have already heard of use XBMC on other hardware (Apple TV etc.), well it all began on the humble XBox therefore it's name (XBox Media Center). Obviously it is possible to use an XBox as a great networked Media Centre plus it does many more things besides but since this is RGC I will focus on the topic of retro console and computer emulation.
A modded Xbox is my own pick within PC/Mac emulation for the following 6 reasons:
1. The XBox is relatively simple to unleash your self (soft-modding a Conventional 8gb XBox takes minutes when You understand the way to have the tools/software)
2. The unit fits under your telly, unlike a PC
3. A timeless XBox is economical, I noticed them being sold using a controller for #14.99 lately at my local GameStation. EBay is another great source of cheap XBoxes.
5. Unlike a Xbox 360, the original Xbox is extremely reliable — almost bombproof. The developer scene is still going strong and fresh variants of hot emulators are published weekly
A modded XBox also has the following advantages:
1. Area free games and DVD
2. Ability to operate in HD (720p and even 1080p)
3. You can upgrade your HDD to something larger
4. You can save your DVD films and matches to your HDD and play out there (faster loading times)
5. Skill to use a mouse and keyboard (good for those point and click adventure games )
6. Enormous development landscape leading to hundreds of flashed emulators and utilities
7. Fully networkable over LAN with any other devices you have
8. Good alternative to a PC at a home arcade cabinet installment
9. When the HDD is updated they create decent Network Media Centres (XBMC)